Sunday, December 10, 2006

Never run out of everything at the same time and never get sick.

Wow.

It feels like we've had the plague. No kidding - since the first week of November we've been hit hard and heavy with all kinds of illness. Our Fearless Leader came down with strep throat. Then the kids starting dropping like flies... and then I got it. We wrapped up the month with a nice ear infection w/upper respiratory yuck for Wonder Boy and a nifty cold for Mystery Baby. I think we spent more in copays than a month's premium for our insurance costs!

Money... that's what brings me to my point. Shopping with a two year old and a new baby is not high on my list of fun things to do. Actually, getting bloodwork drawn is easier to deal with. We had stocked our pantry and freezer before Mystery was born, but supplies ran low. The writing on the wall was clear this past Friday night when we scrounged for dinner. It was a "Mustgo" night (as in, everything must go!): leftover pizza, a pork chop, some baked sweet potatoes & apples, and chocolate cream of wheat left from breakfast. Last night was the last of the pasta. So today, I knew I had to bite the bullet and go. Our Fearless Leader and the older boys had errands to run, so the Littles and I did the big shop together. $350 later, we came home tired and laden with yummies. Believe it or not, I did manage to buy real food and found most of the things on my list. It did, however, take 2 carryout kids and 3 carts to get it all out to my van. You should have seen me hoisting the 2 carts - one loaded with the toddler & baby in carseat, the other with food practically falling out.

Anyway. It hurt to swipe that debit card.

No comments: