Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's Tough to Get Back Into the Swing of Things

What's a girl to do when the tsunami known as Life swells up underneath her? Grab a surfboard and ride it out, baby! Of course, about the time that the swell towers above the beachfront buildings, threatening everything in its path, this girl realizes something of rather significant import: she doesn't know how to surf. She also realizes that she's afraid of sharks and begins to question the sanity of being out on the ocean in the first place. And then, she wakes up.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has these moments.

I noticed something about my tsunami-like life and the shoes I wear in it -- I've reverted to wearing tennis shoes 99% of the time. The other 1% appears to be spent in socks. It's been a little chilly here, for starters. Also, while Wonder Boy has grown and matured, he hasn't outgrown his uncanny ability to step on me. I like having 10 toes and I like them unbroken -- Things One and Two both have broken toes over the past couple years and I don't want to join the Been There, Done That ranks. So for now, tennies rule.

The tennies also indicate a psychological shift from carefree-summer-mom/girl to must-be-responsible-and-save-the-world-mom/girl. Let me just say that the former is kind of fun to be around and the latter is... well... not. The summer girl wears flip-flops and remembers to wear fun nail polish on her toes -- she rides that tsunami like a pro. That other one? Oh, not only is she not fun to be around, she's shark bait. Personally I'm ready to hogtie her to the surfboard, break a bottle of bubbly over the bow and send her off to sea without a life vest.

Time to find that summer girl.

No comments: